Digital and Design Director, Marketing and Communications
Internal Number: 501980
The Digital and Design Director, Marketing and Communications is a strong leader, strategic partner, creative thinker, project manager and deft executor for all Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) projects and responsible for building and maintaining a digital and design footprint that inspires, engages and activates Lehigh University alumni and donors.
As a team member and leader, this position will support department objectives by managing an array of digital and design requests, developing plans for a range of needs and goals, building digital and design assets to help with storytelling and fundraising, ensuring platform accessibility and measuring success through robust analytics.
The director will support the design, development and implementation of all digital and design strategies in support of DAR goals, ensure smooth operation for the use of all design tools and applications (e.g., e-communications channels, websites, blogs, e-newsletter distribution and analytics reporting), set specific digital and design objectives and monitor progress, analyze metrics, generate innovative ideas to increase web traffic, inform and train colleagues to use digital technologies, ensure brand consistency, recommend new methods to improve the donor and alumni digital experience and ensure all web best practices are met.
The director will work closely with leadership on digital and design strategies in support of the University's comprehensive campaign, and partner with program managers on projects such as reunions, University events, live-stream and virtual events, giving days, annual fundraising campaigns and stewardship projects. The director will report to the senior director and will oversee a digital specialist, interactive designer and graphic designer. The director will also partner with members of other departments at Lehigh, including Communications and Public Affairs and Lehigh Library and Technology Services. The Lehigh community takes seriously our commitment to antiracism and The Principles of our Equitable Community.
1. Oversee all digital and design communications projects and campaigns *Strategize and implement digital and design tactics that support overall alumni and donor engagement goals *Map relevant digital channels and tactics into a plan that supports a positive, consistent and comprehensive alumni and donor experience *Manage a robust and active slate of projects, many occurring simultaneously, to ensure timely delivery, hit deadlines and implement with accuracy *Initiate and drive idea sessions *Develop strategy for paid advertising such as Facebook ads and sponsored posts *Manage web designers and work with other team members to create unique and engaging content
2. Lead all design, website and digital communications *Coordinate and collaborate strategies and project deliverables with the Content Director *Develop and own the digital deliverables on the broader content calendar *Collaborate with program and event managers to develop overall digital strategy and identify appropriate solutions that support the overall organizational goals *Manage all projects with accuracy *Publish content including copy, photography, videography, biographies and other items for publication on our website *Deploy content effectively, utilizing SEO strategies and data-driven decision making to determine maximum impact *Research and monitor posts on blogs, forums, media outlets and social networks to determine relevant messaging that resonates
3. Oversee email communications and websites *Create an excellent digital customer experience through customer-centric design, content, navigation, architecture, branding, performance and functionality *Optimize e-communications, including solicitations, event marketing, and e-newsletters. *Develop, evaluate, and oversee all email communications that should include A/B testing protocols and procedures *Drive website updates and redesign projects, including the university giving site, alumni website, and campaign microsite *Review sites on an ongoing basis to keep content fresh, relevant, and to identify areas of improvement *Enhance site design and functionality
4. Develop and deliver quantitative and qualitative reports on digital platforms, channels, and campaigns *Ensure deliverables are coded and tracked *Conduct audits to assess effectiveness of tactics *Analyze web traffic metrics, generate reports and recommendations *Monitor SEO/SEM and identify strategic opportunities and ways to optimize content *Partner in DAR's big data efforts
5. Ensure currency in digital marketing and communications *Act as department lead on industry-specific and broader changes and trends, including accessibility and ADA/WCAG compliance. *Actively research products, services, and emerging technologies and platforms and pursue new opportunities *Set framework for training and support of staff and volunteers supporting digital efforts *Serve as a Systems Administrator for Workfront software, the work management tool responsible for tracking and managing all work produced by the Office of Development and Alumni Relations *Strategize and manage the procedures related to satisfying all digital and design marketing requests *Lead team to submit service tickets to Workfront on behalf of DAR
6. Manage digital and design team *Assign work and projects *Provide support and opportunities for professional development *Monitor quality of work *Develop strong relationships with team to support top quality digital and design communications *Recruit and hire at least one student per semester to support digital and design marketing initiatives
Grade: 11 – 40
Position Number: S82520
The duties of this position may allow the employee to work partially remote as deemed appropriate by the supervisor
Bachelor’s Degree in Advertising, Communications, Marketing, PR, Graphic Design or equivalent combination of education and experience; Master’s Degree preferred
Five to eight years related work experience Strong front-end development skills
Strong Adobe, CMS and UX skills
Strong data tracking and analytic skills
Strong email marketing skills
Basic proficiency with Drupal and Anthology (imodules)
Strong project management and organizational
Strong creative thinking mindset
Demonstrated ability to identify strategic opportunities and develop effective solutions to advance departmental and institutional objectives
Ability to take initiative in developing on-brand messaging, work under pressure and set priorities within a fast paced environment
Ability to set and meet deadlines, particularly those requiring very quick turnaround, on an ongoing basis
Willingness to work during non-standard business hours
Ability to work on multiple projects at a time, both independently and as part of a team
Outgoing and engaging personality, a sense of humor, strong work ethic and the desire and ability to take the initiative in exploring new strategies DAR should consider
Willingness to meet the varying need states of a layered organization
Excellent interpersonal/team skills and ability to thrive in a collaborative environment
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
All Lehigh faculty and staff are required to be fully vaccinated and receive a booster shot six months after their second vaccine; unless they receive an approved medical or religious exemption from the requirement.
Only complete applications will be considered therefore please complete the application in its entirety. Once the posting is removed from the website applications may no longer be allowed to be completed.
Lehigh is a premier residential research university, ranked in the top tier of national research universities each year. We are a coeducational, nondenominational, private university that offers a distinct academic environment of undergraduate and graduate students from across the globe.